Friday, October 19, 2012

Food Friday!

I have been hankerin' (yes, I said it...there isn't a lot about me that says redneck, but there you go!) for breakfast for dinner (maybe we should call it brinner, what do you think?)  I am NOT usually a big breakfast food person.  I don't really like eggs at all and I can't stand milk.  But I have been loving things like biscuits and gravy, waffles, and pancakes for dinner (brinner).  Well, this week my husband was wanting some french toast and because I am not getting up early enough to fix it before the kids go to school, I thought we would have it for dinner!  I know, right?!  :-)

Anyway, I found a crispy french toast recipe that I thought I would try and share with you all.  So, you are welcome in advance!

Crispy Baked French Toast

Ingredients:
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1 1/4 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
8 slices of italian bread
1/4 cup butter
1/4 vegetable oil
Maple syrup

Directions:
1. Beat 3 eggs together with  1 1/4 cup milk, 3/4 tsp sugar and 3/4 tsp vanilla extract in shallow bowl until well blended. Pour over bread and let sit for 30 minutes.

2. Beat 1 egg together with 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 tsp each of sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. (I forgot the cinnamon in the first batch.) Place panko in pie pan or shallow dish. Dip each bread slice into egg mixture, then coat both sides of bread slices with bread crumbs. Place on large wire rack.

3.  Add butter and oil into pan. Place pan in 400 degrees F. oven 1 to 2 minutes, or until butter melts. Remove pan from oven.

4. Place bread slices into pan, in single layer, turning over once to coat both sides of bread slices with butter mixture.

5. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes. Turn bread slices over and bake 10 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!


These lasted no time what so ever and it was super simple to bake them.  The only thing I might do differently next time is to remember to put cinnamon in my first egg mixture and make a second pan!  These were too good!  Hope you enjoy!



0 comments:

Post a Comment