Friday, May 14, 2010

Why blog?

I was talking to a friend of mine, Alise, the other day about blogging. She regularly blogs. I want to regularly blog. So, I asked her...why do people blog? I have this desire to blog, but I don't really understand it. Her answer was because people are conceited. Am I? I really didn't think I was...but maybe?

I am a people pleaser. I also have a fear of rejection and failure. Maybe this is why my blog never lasts? I am also kinda pessimistic. This results in wanting to do lots of stuff, but never really going through with it. I set myself up for failure, really.

My thoughts on blogging is that I don't think I am very interesting...do I really want to prove this in writing?? Do I want to show everyone else that may stumble upon my blog that I have nothing interesting to say? As I reread this...I am sorely tempted to ditch it. I am such an odd person...wait...is that interesting? :-)

The other reason that I thought that a blog would be a good idea is...well, I covered that in an earlier blog. Seems that every summer this idea rears it's head. I don't understand that either. I have talked to Rich about this answer and his answer is simply...make it work this time. Yeah, I wish my brain worked so simply.

2 comments:

  1. I love this quote about writing: Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum. ~Graycie Harmon

    That seems to sum it up for me pretty well! (It's sometimes escape from my FIRST insane asylum -- not sure if that's a good thing or not!)

    So glad to see you writing. It's definitely a little bit terrifying to put yourself "out there" for the world to see. Writing honestly, saying the "wrong" thing, letting people see our warts -- scary stuff. But the encouragement it gives me to live more authentically is worth the risk.

    As for the summer thing, I find that my posting definitely increases as the days get sunnier. My February post counts are like 2. And then it skyrockets in April & May. I know that depression lurks around my brain a lot, so I chalk it up to that. I get dark in the winter and don't want people to have to experience some of my meaner, grosser thoughts. Don't know if that applies to you, but that's definitely me. I get far more excited about blogging during the spring than any other time.

    So glad to see you here on the intertubez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Alise. Love that quote...very true, I would say. I would have to agree with the depression as well, Rich says that I am solar powered! :-) I don't think that's too far from the truth either!

    ReplyDelete