Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Veteran's Day


Today's post will be in honor of my father.  He's a Vietnam veteran.  He didn't choose to go over there and fight for his country, but he did the job anyway.  

I do not like the school subject "History".  But I love the recent stuff...like stuff that has happened in the last 100 years.  I have always been interested in the Vietnam war, simply because my dad was over there and experienced the place.  I have asked a million questions, but my dad is rather closed lipped about the whole ordeal.  I do know that he was a mechanic and worked mainly on the helicopters called Chinooks.  Those are the huge double engine helicopters that you still associate with the armed forces today.  He has lots of slides from his time over there.  I loved looking at the pictures and asking questions.  Of course, now he says that he doesn't remember.  

I am so proud of my father..  Thanks, Dad.

And now for a funny picture...Dad doesn't really like his picture being taken, so that makes us try even harder.  But then grandchildren came along and that has changed my dad a lot.  He has done things that I never would have imagined.  And this one is just one of them.  We were driving down the road after picking Wesley up from his Halloween party...he went as Mario, complete with mustache.  Wesley wanted me to take the mustache, so Dad took it and put it on.  I immediately grabbed for my camera to get a picture...remember, I am still driving down the road!  Not the safest time to do this, but you gotta get while the getting is good!  Anyway, Dad actually put it back on so I could get a better picture!  What a guy!


Thank you to all the veterans who have served and sacrificed for this country.



0 comments:

Post a Comment